• Welcome to TodayPlus Boards v2.

RSS Movie Feeds

Started by LawofA, June 09, 2004, 09:40:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZapMe1

Quote from: "uk_skinner"Here is the scenario:

1) A small exe to create a small text file list all the movie ID after you download the movie RSS (the first one provided by ZapMe1). As you can see the movie ID is after http://www.movie-gazette.com/cinereviews in the RSS script.

2) Let's say you are reading the movie RSS and you would like to see the review then you tap a small icon (a new one ,"Review") then trigger a exe call EzDownload to download the review.html then ask IE to open it.

This sounds like it should work fine !!  I knew you could do it UK !!  :approve:

Question1:  Would the movie text file contain all of the movie ID's of the ones you want to see reviews from, and can this list be changed when new movies are released, or if you want to add more to the list ??

Question2: Would a new/ seperate .exe for ezdownload need to be created for each review that you wish to look at ??

Great Work UK !!   :clap:  :dance:
ZapMe1

"The most knowledgable person in the world is not the one who possesses the most knowledge, but the one who surrounds themselves with the greatest number of knowledgable people"

uk_skinner

Quote from: "ZapMe1"

This sounds like it should work fine !!  I knew you could do it UK !!  :approve:

Question1:  Would the movie text file contain all of the movie ID's of the ones you want to see reviews from, and can this list be changed when new movies are released, or if you want to add more to the list ??

Question2: Would a new/ seperate .exe for ezdownload need to be created for each review that you wish to look at ??

Great Work UK !!   :clap:  :dance:

ZapMe1:  Well, not so fast.  Just an idea and it will take some times to make it become reality.

Q1:  I will assume the movide ID list is with the RSS script.  So whenever the RSS script change the list of IDs will change too.  In other words, the first number in the list should corresponding to the first movie in RSS scripts.

Q2: I hope not but I don't have the firm answer yet.  This is something I am still thinking :think:  :doh:

Edit:  A possible way is using the shortcut to let TP send out which movie review you would like to download and see.  The shortcut will be just a simple line of file path of exe which can take an external variable.  Then you only need one exe.  But someone has to come out this exe...

ZapMe1

UK_Skinner;

Like I said, I don't know much at all about ezdownload, but please let me know how I can help this become reality !!   :P
ZapMe1

"The most knowledgable person in the world is not the one who possesses the most knowledge, but the one who surrounds themselves with the greatest number of knowledgable people"

uk_skinner

Quote from: "ZapMe1"UK_Skinner;

Like I said, I don't know much at all about ezdownload, but please let me know how I can help this become reality !!   :P

Well, this is just not only use EzDownload also need to do the ID extraction.  That is first step.  Hmm...it is time to take an Advil and goto Microsoft Devloper Center site..... :shock:

ZapMe1

UK_Skinner;

I could work on the ID Extraction, but a little confused on where to start & what to do !  :?:
ZapMe1

uk_skinner

Quote from: "ZapMe1"UK_Skinner;

I could work on the ID Extraction, but a little confused on where to start & what to do !  :?:

Be honesy with you, no clue yet...

I am having trouble to see rss link you posted.  My TP could not download the rss to buffer folder.  However, if I downloaded, renamed and put it into folder, then I can read it from RSS section...

But anyway, I got a file to work with.  My plan is to write a simple exe to use this as source to extract ID from there.  Do you know how to write PPC exe?

ZapMe1

Quote from: "uk_skinner"But anyway, I got a file to work with. My plan is to write a simple exe to use this as source to extract ID from there. Do you know how to write PPC exe?

I'm afraid that I don't..  :cry:   (But I'm a quick learner !  :roll: )
ZapMe1

uk_skinner

ZapMe1:

Trust me, it is no fun if you want to learn from the beginning to develop a proram.

Anyway, I think I got the first step, movie ID extraction from RSS script.  But I am struggling the next step.  You need a way to pass variable(item number in RSS) out to the TP.  At first, I think I could use shortcut to point a link where you can link the exe.  But you need to pass the number into that exe.  This is where I have no clue how to do it. :wall:   For example, a link like this.

/My Documents/ReviewDownload.exe ID=1

The key is to write ReviewDownload.exe to take the number after "ID=" inside the program and it can go to the ID List (a text file) to get the first ID from the list and download the review of that particular movie.

I checked the size of review html is about 20K, so you really don't want download all of them, 20Kx32=640K.  Besides, it will take about 1-2 minutes to get all these reviews.  With the problem I encountered of AS, you probably can not do it mutiple times, however Wi-Fi seemed to be ok.

I will continue to see I can make that happened..

ZapMe1

UK_Skinner;

I understand what your trying to do !!   Sorry I can't be of more help, my background is much more in Electronics then computer...
But if there is Anything I can do to help, please let me know !!
I really would like to see this work out !!   8)
ZapMe1

ZapMe1

@Uk_Skinner;

Here is a site that may help with what your trying to do !!  (maybe)
http://www.2rss.com/software.php?page=rss20docs

Also, here is another part of that same site that provides many feeds !!  I'm sure we could find some useful things here !!   :roll:
http://www.2rss.com/index.php?cat2=37&p=7

I'm not sure if anyone has been to this site..  But it seems cool !!   8)
ZapMe1

uk_skinner

Zapme1:

Thanks for the information.  I will take a look.

I got one more step close, but it will not be my "idea way".  Right now, I can download the review based on the ID.  But the whole thing will be bulky (about 200-250KB).  Again, this is proof of priniciple, it will be improved if someone out there can threw some idea.

Although the html file was downloaded but I am looking to see I can just extract the information you want to read and put them in text file or even RSS format.  But this will even push myself too hard... :wall:  :wall:

Edit:  The idea to extract text information from html turns out is too big for me to handle... :oops:

ZapMe1

QuoteI got one more step close, but it will not be my "idea way". Right now, I can download the review based on the ID. But the whole thing will be bulky (about 200-250KB).
Is this "bulk" due to the amount of detail provided X the # of reviews downloaded at one time ??
If so, can just one review detail be targeted, and stored in a text  ??   I guess this would create many text files  !!
I don't know...  (just fishing !!)
ZapMe1

uk_skinner

Quote from: "ZapMe1"
Is this "bulk" due to the amount of detail provided X the # of reviews downloaded at one time ??
If so, can just one review detail be targeted, and stored in a text  ??   I guess this would create many text files  !!
I don't know...  (just fishing !!)

No, even worst.

Here are what I have for now.

1) An exe to extract Movie ID from your RSS script--> about 113KB-->speed ms

2) I gave up  to find the way to send ID inside the program.  An small (3KB) exe will creat a temp file to store the RSS item number from TP.  Yes, you need 32 of individual one (4KB x 32 = 128KB). -->ms

3) Then ReviewDownload (5Kb) to get RSS item number then pull the MovieID from the list, then use ExDownload to download the html. -->s

4) Open with IE -->forever :shock:

So I lied, plus EzDownload (80KB) it ends up to 300KB. :oops:   And I found out even the file downloading was fast, but IE still opened slow.  So after all the efforts, I guess the "IE" as a bad guy.

I will continue to see I can find a better way to do it.  IMHO, it is "too" early to put in TP..

Edit:  Correction, the total was about 300KB..

ZapMe1

Seems like this may be a Dead Issue   :(  :cry:
ZapMe1

uk_skinner

Quote from: "ZapMe1"Seems like this may be a Dead Issue   :(  :cry:

:wall:  :wall:  :wall:  :wall:  :wall:  :wall:

Not exactly, I am looking for the soultion.  The extraction of text may will work.  But I need to figure out the fundemental issue first.  If I am lucky, I might find out the answer quick.  If not..... :cry: