• Welcome to TodayPlus Boards v2.

TodayPlus and var34 - The Real Story

Started by ya1950, October 29, 2004, 05:55:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

uk_skinner

Report...My 4th round of testing.

I use Hammerskin1.04a (no addtional features, joelw135, you do have some extra features in that skin, right).

Total number of variable used before in Hammerskin1.04a : 19

Change 10 --> 51 and 24 --> 52

Add var53 - var100(48 new var) and tested with addvar code

It looked fine, the number is up 750 and going.....

Total number of variables: 67 --> it is over 34....

Wichtel:  While you are sleeping, 48 new variables possible for you to use.. :wink:  :lol:

Edit:  One wired thing, in my device, the var86 start at "8" even I put "initvar,var86,0".... :wall:

Edit:  Ok, looks like var86 - var95 were bad when the number went up.  See 2nd screenshot.   I am not sure they are safe to be used.

uk_skinner

I think I started a new post is much clearer.

In Hammerskin.

var 88 seemed to be connected to region switched.  When I switched from main to any of other sections.  var88 was changed.

var88 - var95 were changed when I went to eithe Agenda or Task section.  Just likr the screenshot, some of them disappeared...

Early conclusion is don't use them.

ya1950

@uk_skinner. When you change the variable name you are still using an absolute number of variables that is less than 33. If you deliberately add more than 33 variables (absolute number) and not just change the names does it still work?

I seem to remember from somewhere that in early versions srs reserved some variables for system stuff. At some point he expanded the number of variables that could be used and freed up the variables under 33 to be used by the skinner. I think that the variables you are descovering are supposed to be reserved for other stuff and that's why you are running into problems. I'm pretty sure that srs stated at some point that there was a 33 variable limit on the program but he might have changed it without letting anyone know. I suspect that to answer this we'd have to disassemble the code and see what is there.

ya1950

OK I did try to peek into the code but couldn't find anything that was readily apparent (to me in any case) I did find several references to #0x18+var_18 but I'm not sure how that relates to the question at hand. I would guess that there is a limit on the number of variables with some being available to the user and others being reserved for the program itself.

BTW - the program is pulling weather information off msnbc but everyone knew that, right?

uk_skinner

Quote from: "ya1950"@uk_skinner. When you change the variable name you are still using an absolute number of variables that is less than 33. If you deliberately add more than 33 variables (absolute number) and not just change the names does it still work?

I did use more than 34 variables.  Addtion to 19 ones used in Hammerskin, I deliberately add new 48 vaiables (var 53 - var 100) for testing, Each new one was used addvar to increase its value by 500 each time main page refresh.  Last testing, there were total 67 variables. :knownot:

The results seemed to support the fact that some of variables are used by system (at least memory position).

ZapMe1

I am impressed with the results that everyone is finding !!   :approve:
From Radar, to Movie Reviews, to Additional Var's, you guys are the reason that TodayPlus+ is still alive and so strong !!! 8)

I just want to say THANKS, from myself (and I'm sure many others at this forum), for all the time and hard work you all put in for all of us !!  :clap:

(Sorry I'm off topic here, but I just thought it was deserved...   :wink: )
ZapMe1

"The most knowledgable person in the world is not the one who possesses the most knowledge, but the one who surrounds themselves with the greatest number of knowledgable people"

ZapMe1

:arrow:   Any development on a list of "Good & Bad" Var's   :?:
ZapMe1

"The most knowledgable person in the world is not the one who possesses the most knowledge, but the one who surrounds themselves with the greatest number of knowledgable people"

Geezer

This is something that I'm quite interested in as well.   :wink:
Toshiba e800, PPC2003 SE, 2.2 Gb MicroDrive, 512 CF, 512 SD, 2 Extended Batteries, Plus other excentric goodies.

uk_skinner

As I have tested, var 51 - var 84 seemed to work when I used them in addvar code.  var 86 was wired and stay away from var 88 - var 95...

ZapMe1

QuoteAs I have tested, var 51 - var 84 seemed to work when I used them in addvar code. var 86 was wired and stay away from var 88 - var 95...

Great !!  :D
Thanks UK..

This gives us many more to use !!   Thanks for doing that research !!
ZapMe1

Geezer

Cool!  I just gotta annotate that somewhere.  :knownot:
Toshiba e800, PPC2003 SE, 2.2 Gb MicroDrive, 512 CF, 512 SD, 2 Extended Batteries, Plus other excentric goodies.

ZapMe1

Just wanted to add to this thread based from my experience with my latest skin !!
I believe I've used all vars from 50-69, and they all seem to work well in v.11 & v.12...

Stay away from 34-40, and some in the upper 40's work, but not well in v.11 !
0-33 + 50-69 = 52 skin proven working vars !!!  :D    My next try will be to incorporate the 70's in the skin !!!  :idea:
ZapMe1