• Welcome to TodayPlus Boards v2.

TodayPlus Internationalization

Started by eemond, February 08, 2005, 10:14:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eemond

I have been trying to think of a way to make all the great Skins people have been developing "Language Neutral". If the Text Commands where we code in our local language could be isolated from the Skin, say in a file, then Translation would be a simple matter of translating the text in this file, no need the touch the Skin.

I included some prototyping that I have been playing with (this is very preliminary). The attached ZIP file has a Readme where I tried to quickly document the enclosed files.

Suggestions/Comments.

Thanks...

Regards,
eemond

uk_skinner

Quote from: "eemond"I have been trying to think of a way to make all the great Skins people have been developing "Language Neutral". If the Text Commands where we code in our local language could be isolated from the Skin, say in a file, then Translation would be a simple matter of translating the text in this file, no need the touch the Skin.

I included some prototyping that I have been playing with (this is very preliminary). The attached ZIP file has a Readme where I tried to quickly document the enclosed files.

Suggestions/Comments.

Thanks...

Regards,
eemond

eemond:

Great idea. :approve:

But I was a little bit confusion.  Could you please give us more details how does this work?  Looks like you try to put translation into regsitry key.   :?:

eemond

UK,

Exactly (as with your SKY Translation) translation in the Registry.

Did you have a chance to look at the Readme?

On my PC TPSkinExt.exe reads a skin file in and writes a modified skin file out as well as a language file (see the earlier attached for layout and content).

The outputted language file is input to Language.exe on my PDA which creates Registry entries for each TEXT Command in my skin.

With the Registry entries created, I use the modified skin file (from above TPSkinExt.exe) on my PDA.

Hope this helps...

Regards,
eemond

uk_skinner

Ed:

Thanks for the explaination.

Yes, I did read the ReadMe and also look the in and out file.  

So you will put all the skin-used words into the registry key.  That could be a long list (my name is on it too  :oops: ), about 115, in your example.  Am I right?

:?:

eemond

UK,

That's correct. I have seen no adverse effects on Storage use or performance on my little Axim x30H (624).

Regards,
Ed

Broesel

Indeed a nice idea again, eemond :)

Couldn't try it right now, but will download ant try later,
giving you comments, what I think.

Thanks
Broesel

eemond

Broesel,

A great help for my testing would be a Language.txt translated to another language (mine is English).

If anyone could help, it would be appreciated.

Thanks...

Regards,
eemond

Broesel

Quote from: "eemond"Broesel,

A great help for my testing would be a Language.txt translated to another language (mine is English).

Thanks...

Regards,
eemond

No problem, will take a look, when I get home ... :lol:

Regards Broesel

Timmy

Quote from: "eemond"A great help for my testing would be a Language.txt translated to another language (mine is English).

Thanks...

Regards,
eemond

Eemond,

Here's the Dutch translation.

Timmy
Toshiba e750BT, WM 2003, Today Plus 0.11.0, WISbar Adv, Agenda Fusion, Pocket Slides, TomTom

Wichtel

Wow, very good Idea. :approve:

I Support the Hammerskin in 3 Languages, every Language has different word lenght. So i use different positions for the different languages. Is this possible to use Blankspaces in the Translation File to realise the different positions of the Word´s ?
Greetings Wichtel 

miwi-media.com | Web & Screendesign

eemond

Timmy,

Thanks for your help. I'll try giving it a test.

Wichtel,

Currently the translation file can have leading spaces, trailing will be ignored.

Thanks everyone for all your help.

Regards,
eemond

Broesel

Quote from: "eemond"Broesel,

Thanks...

Regards,
eemond

Hi eemond, here comes the German translation (rename to German.out)

Regards Broesel

eemond

Thanks to Timmy and Broesel for help translating the Language.txt files.

It's pretty easy and fast to switch from one language to another using the same skin, just run the Language.exe against your language.txt file, and change your regional settings.

A few problems:

There is some text coded in the suntime and today commands, but a workaround is available. Don't put text in these commands and use the text command for your text (as is done with the moontime command in the earlier attached HammerSkin).

Also as Wichtel cautioned, there are some spacing problems with text length varying from language to language. Maybe someone has a suggestion.

Thanks again for all your help...

Regards,
eemond

eemond

Cleanup the suntime and today commands (works like the moontime command).

Still maybe a problem with the Language word lengtrh issue (i.e. Set: = Ondergang:).

The zip contains a CSV file with 4 columns (Text, and three (3) Languages). To format your Language.txt just delete the Languages you don't want, delete the first row (headings) and save as Language.txt. This is input to Language.exe on your PDA (adds Textxxx's to the TP text registry key).

The included skin (TPSkinout_002A.txt) is a renamed Hammerskin.

Text113-Text116 require translation in the CSV file.

Have fun...

Regards,
eemond

Broesel

Quote from: "eemond"
Text113-Text116 require translation in the CSV file.

Having problems, to save the file, when I read and save with excel,
the format is gone, so here the translation of the textes for German:

Text113;Relative Humidity:;Relative Luftfeuchtigkeit
Text114;UV-Index:;UV-Index:
Text115;Wind Direction:;Windrichtung:
Text116;Server Data:;Serverdatum:

Regards Broesel