• Welcome to TodayPlus Boards v2.

Update Behind proxy server

Started by uk_skinner, April 08, 2005, 03:19:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

uk_skinner

This is old topic and I would like to start to look for a possible solution to it.

Since the radar.exe can download the city.txt (I think rss.txt too), so if we can make it works behind the proxy server then the problem should be ressolved.  However, I do not use proxy server and have the limited (even zero) knowledge about it.  I will need your help.  

From what I reading so far, in the regsitry key, there are default proxy setting in there.  If you can help me to find them out, then I can program radar.exe to retrive the information and use to make connections.  In addition, I also be able to have a helper (set-up) exe to allow user to set up the parameters and store in the registry key or a text file.

Here is my screenshot of HKEY_CURRENT_USER\software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings.

Please share yours with me, but do remember to block out the confidential information, such as users name and password.  Thanks.

Timmy

Uk_skinner,

As I don't almost know nothing from technical subjects, I can't help you very much. I even don't know if it helps you to give you my own screenshot of the mentioned directory....

BUT: "Better one screenshot too much, than one screenshot too too little..."

Timmy
Toshiba e750BT, WM 2003, Today Plus 0.11.0, WISbar Adv, Agenda Fusion, Pocket Slides, TomTom

DeftOne

Any solution to this problem yet as it pertains to radar.exe?  I recently switched jobs, and am now behind a proxy server.  I managed to get TP to update weather, RSS, etc., but I am unable to get radar.exe to download.  So...anyone able to get radar.exe to work behind a proxy yet?

FYI: I got TP to update (weather, RSS, etc.) by inputing my company's proxy server information into my PPC internet connection.

On your PPC:
  • Go to:  Settings | Connections Tab | Connections | Add Proxy Server
  • Check "This network uses a proxy server to connect to the Internet"
  • Click on "Advanced" button
  • Enter proxy server information into input boxes
  • Enter Socks 5 username/password if your proxy utilizies that protocol (I used the same username/password as my desktop machine login)
I managed to get my company's proxy server information without the help of any IT personel by looking in Internet Explorer's LAN settings located at:  

On your desktop machine:
  • Internet Explorer - Go to:  Tools | Internet Options... | Connections Tab | LAN Settings Button | Advanced... Button
Hopefully this information will be useful to someone.  Now, if I could just get radar.exe to download properly...

uk_skinner

Quote from: "DeftOne"Any solution to this problem yet as it pertains to radar.exe?  I recently switched jobs, and am now behind a proxy server.  I managed to get TP to update weather, RSS, etc., but I am unable to get radar.exe to download.  So...anyone able to get radar.exe to work behind a proxy yet?

FYI: I got TP to update (weather, RSS, etc.) by inputing my company's proxy server information into my PPC internet connection.

On your PPC:
  • Go to:  Settings | Connections Tab | Connections | Add Proxy Server
  • Check "This network uses a proxy server to connect to the Internet"
  • Click on "Advanced" button
  • Enter proxy server information into input boxes
  • Enter Socks 5 username/password if your proxy utilizies that protocol (I used the same username/password as my desktop machine login)
I managed to get my company's proxy server information without the help of any IT personel by looking in Internet Explorer's LAN settings located at:  

On your desktop machine:
  • Internet Explorer - Go to:  Tools | Internet Options... | Connections Tab | LAN Settings Button | Advanced... Button
Hopefully this information will be useful to someone.  Now, if I could just get radar.exe to download properly...

I have to read my own post to figure out what I was thinking at that time. :oops:
Good news are that I have been used c# to make program and got better idea than I was beofre.  Recently, I even created a weather plug-in for Taiwan.  Bad news are I am very busy and have no idea when I will give a try to see I can make radar.exe work behind proxy server.  Anyway, if I dod find some time I will dig the radar.exe code and add some codes to see it will work for you.   :wink:

DeftOne

Anything you can do to help would be greatly appreciated, uk_skinner.  I've really become accustomed to having local radar and traffic cam images on my PPC, and have been spoiled with your excellent app.  For the time being I will have to just sync at home and not have up-to-the-minute images.  

Looking forward to your efforts.

Thanks!

uk_skinner

Quote from: "DeftOne"Anything you can do to help would be greatly appreciated, uk_skinner.  I've really become accustomed to having local radar and traffic cam images on my PPC, and have been spoiled with your excellent app.  For the time being I will have to just sync at home and not have up-to-the-minute images.  

Looking forward to your efforts.

Thanks!

Ok. try this.  I just added 3 code lines to read the nondynamic proxy settings in PIE but will not pick up any dynamic settings that are generated from script run by PIE, from automatic configuration entries, or from DHCP or DNS lookups.

Good luck.

DeftOne

Still no luck.  I am glad to see that you're trying to help, though.  Thanks!  Hopefully we can overcome this problem eventually.

uk_skinner

Quote from: "DeftOne"Still no luck.  I am glad to see that you're trying to help, though.  Thanks!  Hopefully we can overcome this problem eventually.

In that case, can you tell me what you need to set to acess through the proxy?  Please just give me the format not actual contents.  For example, the IP?Username?Password? I can try to let radar.exe to read a text based file to set the proxy parameters.

DeftOne

My initial post in this thread kind of outlines what I needed to input, but I'll include some screenshots to clarify.

Thanks again!

<EDIT> The proxy server address is in the form of proxy.companyname.com , and is the same for all the fields (HTTP, WAP, Secure WAP, and Socks) if that helps any.

uk_skinner

Quote from: "DeftOne"My initial post in this thread kind of outlines what I needed to input, but I'll include some screenshots to clarify.

Thanks again!

<EDIT> The proxy server address is in the form of proxy.companyname.com , and is the same for all the fields (HTTP, WAP, Secure WAP, and Socks) if that helps any.

Please try this.  First, open the proxy.txt and put the server address at the first line and port number at second line.  Please keep "http://". Put the proxy.txt and radar.exe at the same folder.  Since I am not behind the proxy server and no way to test it.  Good luck again.

DeftOne

Still no luck.

I think you need to somehow incorporate the Socks 5 User ID and Password information, as I am unable to get even the weather data and RSS to work without it.  

We're getting closer, I can feel it!!!  Thanks again.

JLG

The real problem here may be the configuration of your proxy server.  I had to create a profile on my server and configure some filters to allow my pda to "look through" the proxy's firewall.  If you have a reasonable relationship with your IT manager, you should talk to them about how to allow your pda to bypass the firewall.

DeftOne

Well, I am able to get my pda to look through the proxy firewall for Internet Explorer and TodayPlus weather/RSS by inputing my User ID and Password in the Socks 5 authentication portion of my proxy connection information.  

The only thing I have not been able to get to look through the proxy is radar.exe.  Why?...I have no idea.  You'd think that the proxy server information that I input into my connection preferences would be global and work for every app that connected to the internet, unless there's some sort of block on the port that radar.exe uses to connect to the internet.  Maybe radar.exe needs a "filter" of some sort to allow it to work, like you said.  Unfortunately I'm new to the company, and IT support is limited to company related hardware/software - of which, I seriously doubt TodayPlus and radar.exe would fall under.  :(

uk_skinner

Quote from: "DeftOne"

The only thing I have not been able to get to look through the proxy is radar.exe.  Why?...I have no idea.  You'd think that the proxy server information that I input into my connection preferences would be global and work for every app that connected to the internet, unless there's some sort of block on the port that radar.exe uses to connect to the internet.  Maybe radar.exe needs a "filter" of some sort to allow it to work, like you said.  Unfortunately I'm new to the company, and IT support is limited to company related hardware/software - of which, I seriously doubt TodayPlus and radar.exe would fall under.  :(

In the original radar.exe codes, there is no codes to specially deal with the proxy.  I tried to let radar.exe to use the proxy setting used in PIE, that did not work.  And I tried to used to open a proxy server within the program, that did not work either.  As you pointed out, the program need to send socks information too.  I will look into it.

Timmy

Whaw...  Uk_skinner is back in town!!!
Toshiba e750BT, WM 2003, Today Plus 0.11.0, WISbar Adv, Agenda Fusion, Pocket Slides, TomTom