Update Behind proxy server

Started by uk_skinner, April 08, 2005, 03:19:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

uk_skinner

Quote from: "Timmy"

Whaw...  Uk_skinner is back in town!!!

I was in-and-out. :wink:  :roll:

grayme

Quote from: "DeftOne"Well, I am able to get my pda to look through the proxy firewall for Internet Explorer and TodayPlus weather/RSS by inputing my User ID and Password in the Socks 5 authentication portion of my proxy connection information.  

The only thing I have not been able to get to look through the proxy is radar.exe.  Why?...I have no idea.  You'd think that the proxy server information that I input into my connection preferences would be global and work for every app that connected to the internet, unless there's some sort of block on the port that radar.exe uses to connect to the internet.  Maybe radar.exe needs a "filter" of some sort to allow it to work, like you said.  Unfortunately I'm new to the company, and IT support is limited to company related hardware/software - of which, I seriously doubt TodayPlus and radar.exe would fall under.  :(

I've been able to access the internet in IE but not update weather so you are one up on me! :(

grosquick

Some good news I think. I also can't get weather or rss information through the current version of radar.exe with my pocketpc by activesync because of my company's proxy I think.

I've just written a bit of vb.net code to retrieve any information from internet, through activesync and through my company's proxy and it works !

Here is the code :

Public Function RecupHTTP(ByVal URL As String) As String
       Dim Resultat As String = ""
       Dim RecupHTTPChaine As String = ""

Dim myWebRequest As WebRequest
       Dim myProxy As New WebProxy("http://proxydnsname or ipaddress:proxyport", True)

myProxy.Credentials = New NetworkCredential("username", "password", "domainname")
       myWebRequest = WebRequest.Create(URL)
       myWebRequest.Proxy = myProxy
       myWebRequest.Credentials = myProxy.Credentials

Try
           Dim myWebResponse As WebResponse
           myWebResponse = myWebRequest.GetResponse()
           Dim streamResponse As Stream = myWebResponse.GetResponseStream()
           Dim streamRead As New StreamReader(streamResponse)
           Resultat = streamRead.ReadToEnd
       Catch ex As UriFormatException
           MsgBox("Erreur")
       End Try

RecupHTTP = Resultat

End Function

Please uk_skinner, it would be great to have a new version of Radar.exe that could use part of this code to let me use it with todayplus !

uk_skinner

Quote from: "grosquick"Some good news I think. I also can't get weather or rss information through the current version of radar.exe with my pocketpc by activesync because of my company's proxy I think.

I've just written a bit of vb.net code to retrieve any information from internet, through activesync and through my company's proxy and it works !

Here is the code :

Public Function RecupHTTP(ByVal URL As String) As String
       Dim Resultat As String = ""
       Dim RecupHTTPChaine As String = ""

Dim myWebRequest As WebRequest
       Dim myProxy As New WebProxy("http://proxydnsname or ipaddress:proxyport", True)

myProxy.Credentials = New NetworkCredential("username", "password", "domainname")
       myWebRequest = WebRequest.Create(URL)
       myWebRequest.Proxy = myProxy
       myWebRequest.Credentials = myProxy.Credentials

Try
           Dim myWebResponse As WebResponse
           myWebResponse = myWebRequest.GetResponse()
           Dim streamResponse As Stream = myWebResponse.GetResponseStream()
           Dim streamRead As New StreamReader(streamResponse)
           Resultat = streamRead.ReadToEnd
       Catch ex As UriFormatException
           MsgBox("Erreur")
       End Try

RecupHTTP = Resultat

End Function

Please uk_skinner, it would be great to have a new version of Radar.exe that could use part of this code to let me use it with todayplus !

Ok, let's try this way.  I will add codes to let the radar.exe to read all your proxy setting from a text file.  
The first line is: http://proxydnsname or ipaddress:proxyport
the second line is: username, password,domainname

Give me couple of days to work on the codes.  Again, I can not test it.

grosquick

Many thanks uk_skinner. I'll do the test for you !!

uk_skinner

Quote from: "grosquick"Many thanks uk_skinner. I'll do the test for you !!

Sorry, it took so long to do it.  It has been crazy in past two weeks.

Here it is.  After unzip, there are two files, radar.exe and proxy.txt.  If you open the proxy.txt, you should know what information that you should put.  For safe, I let program generate a "myproxy.txt" after it reads the information from proxy.txt.  It should be identical, I just want make sure the program read information right.

Make sure you pt\ut them together in the same folder.  Sorry, I did not test it.  Please let me know if there is any error.

grosquick

You know what ? It works very fine for me !
Thanks again uk_skinner, you're the best !

grayme

I'll give it a go in due course (manic life at the mo!  :( )

I need to work out how to get the internet accessed at work (by wire) through the proxy and for this not to affect my wifi internet/activesync connection at home... :cry:

DeftOne

I'll give it a try on my end as well, but I need to restore my PPC first.  I'll let you know how it goes.  Fingers crossed...

grosquick

grayme

I've still not got my ipaq to access the net through my work yet; it's all too complicated!

DeftOne

I've been too busy at work to give it a try yet - especially since I have to completely restore my PPC.  I will definitely post back here with my results when I finally have a chance to give it a go.  Sorry for the delay, especially since everyone here has been so good about putting out fixes in such a timely manner.  You guys are awesome!!! :D

DeftOne

Hey guys...remember me?   :lol:

I finally got around to trying out your proxy version of the radar.exe, ukskinner.  (Better late than never, right?  Make that really late.) Guess what....it works beautifully!

Thanks for your hard work!!!  :D  You're awesome!

mikerohan

Hi,

I came accross this thread and this version of radar.exe has solved my problem (I am behind a proxy ...)

Great Work!

Now, I also use the "other" radar.exe when I'm at home and I would like to now if it is possible somehow to merge the funcionality in a single exe.
Right now I have to know where I am before launching one exe or the other (I'm lazy I know...)

Thanks,
   Mike

uk_skinner

Quote from: "mikerohan"Hi,

I came accross this thread and this version of radar.exe has solved my problem (I am behind a proxy ...)

Great Work!

Now, I also use the "other" radar.exe when I'm at home and I would like to now if it is possible somehow to merge the funcionality in a single exe.
Right now I have to know where I am before launching one exe or the other (I'm lazy I know...)

Thanks,
   Mike

Certainly, it is possible to just have a single exe.  However, I need to find out out how to detect proxy first.  Anyone has any idea?