• Welcome to TodayPlus Boards v2.

New Weather Module

Started by uk_skinner, April 09, 2005, 01:41:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

uk_skinner

While I am self-educateing the C# for PPC, I found out it is very difficult to add new features into TP weather section.  Although our several efforts had made some sucess, yet there is still limited what we can do/add into TP.

Since it has been very quite in past week, I have been exploring the possibility to see we can come out a new way to enhance TP weather.  Limiting by the skin codes we have, it is very hard to do so.  Therefore, I forced to think an alterntivae to take more "dramatic approach", a new module.

The idea will be scary since it is to totally "abondon" the skin codes for the weather.  And use a new module (exe) to replace the whole function of TP weather.   Similiar idea to use ImageViewer to replace the "image" code.

So do we have everything we need to do so, the answer is "not yet but close".  So here are what we have:

1.  The city set-up remains the same and the essential registry keys (cityid, code) still will be utilized by module.  --> yes

2.  As you knew, the city.txt still will be used for source of weather information, and will be downloaded via "radar.exe" (this time, the codes will be incorporate into the new module).   -->  yes, just need to incoporate the code

3.  Will have an option to do "automatically" and "manually" updating.  The detection of connection and its type will be implemented and the "window" of updating can be user-determine.  --> no

4.  New features, including hourly temp forecast, 10-day forecast, forecast details text and chart will be included. --> yes, but need to incorporate

5.  The radar/satellite image will be incoporated and possible to display animated gif for radar image. --> no but very close

6.  Ideally, its size and position can be specified by users (like ImageViewer) and layout can be skinned (will be a long shot). --> no, very long shot

Please welcome to share your comment (good or bad) with me.  My intention is to try to come out a standalone exe that can be called by TP.  The exe can be called/exited "on-demand" of users using the skin code and still remain the maximum flexibility.  

For those ask me why I spent so much efforts doing that.  My answer is doing this for fun.  Given the facts that there are som many standalone weather programs (I owned most of them) out there, my intention is not to come out a freeware to compete with them.  Rather just for me to use this "topic" to help me learning the C#.  And if the "by-product" is useful to anyone, then they just take it as free but not for making profit from it. :wink:

Timmy

Uk_skinner,

This is a very good post! A post with good and understandeble information. Also information that tells us some thoughts with the eye on the future. You are doing good things with this!!!
I'm happy that your fun (= working with these things) is our pleasure (=getting nice and new feautures)! A better combination is unthinkable!

Another point. Uk_skinner, forgive my naughty thoughts: isn't it possible that, one day, your .exes overgrow TodayPlus, and take over the lead of TodayPlus??? Or: am I dreaming too loud now??? What do you think?!?

Timmy
Toshiba e750BT, WM 2003, Today Plus 0.11.0, WISbar Adv, Agenda Fusion, Pocket Slides, TomTom

uk_skinner

Timmy:

Thanks for your kind words and confidence.

I don't know how the future will be.  The only fact here is after these days (one year consider a "long" time for software world), no other program just like TodayPlus surfacing.  The talent of SRS is no boubt.  At least, following his steps is a good learning process to me.  The age is not at my side and I probably only can do so much, the rest has to be leave to the others.  Who knows, the srs or other talent will show up.

ZapMe1

UK,

Another very nice idea !!  I guess we will also need an additional EXE to close the program using the TP skin buttons..  Something like "imvClose.exe"...
This way it can be set to change pages within the skin, and close the weather mod at the same time !!!   8)
ZapMe1

"The most knowledgable person in the world is not the one who possesses the most knowledge, but the one who surrounds themselves with the greatest number of knowledgable people"

uk_skinner

The forum has been very quite, so I just updated what I have so far.  Still need a lot of work.

This will be the current weather information.

Features:

* The drop down city selection window.
   * Update button to trigger radar.exe.
   * All the current weather information from weather.com
   * The radar/satellite image at below.

Edit:  please see updated screenshot below

uk_skinner

This will be forecast page.

Features:

1  Drop down city selection.
2  Drop down day selection (10 day)
3  Sunrise/sunset time (city local time)
4  Day forecast
5  Night forecast
6  Drop down list for different chart

Abram

Dear uk,
You really ARE THE BEST! I never cease to be amazed by your talent!
Thanks for ALL your good work! Please keep it up! :approve:

Thanks and appreciation to ALL you guys working in anyway on TD+. For a lost cause, you've all given our today screens a new lease of life!

Al

Timmy

Quote from: "Abram"Dear uk,
You really ARE THE BEST! I never cease to be amazed by your talent!
Thanks for ALL your good work! Please keep it up! :approve:
Abram,

I fully agree with your words!
And uk_skinner knows I mean it.

Quote from: "Abram"Thanks and appreciation to ALL you guys working in anyway on TD+. For a lost cause, you've all given our today screens a new lease of life!
TodayPlus IS the best program at this moment. No doubt about that. SRS, the maker, was a genious. Everybody here at this forum knows that. I don't know another program with SO MUCH possibilities in it as TodayPlus. It's realy amazing! And at the same time TodayPlus is a hobby. Everybody can change things in the skinfile. There's also no program at this moment with that amount of possibilities.

Timmy
Toshiba e750BT, WM 2003, Today Plus 0.11.0, WISbar Adv, Agenda Fusion, Pocket Slides, TomTom

Abram

Dear Timmy,
As a TP veteran, you put it so much better than I do! Thanks, that was exactly what I meant!

uk_skinner

Abram, Timmy:

Thanks for your good words. :oops:

I am not as talent as you thought.  Trying to follow SRS's path will not be easy, especially without his guidence.  As you pointed out, TodayPlus is really a "master-piece".  I will do what I can and the rest is really up to fate.  

Timmy: The screenshots you saw here are not "skinable" yet.

Broesel

Well, as I can see your skills are growing every day (in contrast to mine :oops:)

Very nice ideas again and solid work with the dropdown's ...

Waitng for the first release to test :wink:

Regards Broesel

uk_skinner

Quote from: "Broesel"Well, as I can see your skills are growing every day (in contrast to mine :oops:)

Very nice ideas again and solid work with the dropdown's ...

Waitng for the first release to test :wink:

Regards Broesel

broesel:

While I was wondering where you have been, then you "boom" showed up.. :D

In my mind, SRS like a professor who should win the "Nobel Prize" and me just like a "kindergargen student".  It will take me sometime to even be able to reach his level (if that is possible).   :oops:  :roll:

Broesel

Quote from: "uk_skinner"
broesel:

While I was wondering where you have been, then you "boom" showed up.. :D

Well, much work and my big family :wink:
My children had a competition
this weekend and I had to be the driver :roll:

But I'm always here wtih you, even if I don't have time to write
intelligent answers :wink:

Regards Broesel

uk_skinner

The part of ImageViewer codes were incorporated.  The radar image can be "drag-and-move", zoom in/out and fit.

Broesel

Cool 8)

Nice feature again

Regards Broesel