• Welcome to TodayPlus Boards v2.

Video Descriptions and thumbnails

Started by tompbr, September 12, 2006, 09:32:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tompbr

Jim,

I love this script...Take the praise with a grain of salt.  I make noobs look like geniuses.  The good news is your readmes have made this as close to painless as I get.

Problems:

1.  I created a file called vid-desc.txt and placed it in the gallery folder.  Then on consecutive lines I put descriptions in this format:

movie.mov|Here is a description
movie2.avi|More descriptions go here

There are no other lines in the text file.  When I view the movies, there are no descriptions.

2.  I created a generic thumbnail just for test purposes and named it _thb_movie.jpg and made a second copy called _thb_movie2.jpg.  I put them in the same folder as the movies, yet I get the generic thumbs from the flavors folder.

I am well aware that these are rudimentary questions, but I have read every scrap of info on your site and in this forum and cannot find the answer.

The web site is live but not currently defaulted to come up.  If you wish to see it, go to http://www.teampabst.com/spgm/index.php

Thanks
No, seriously.  I need another.

tompbr

Oops, I fixed the descriptions.  I forgot watching my case sensitivity.  

I do still have the video thumbnail problem though.

jhollin1138

Thanks for the feedback.  :approve:

So you are having a thumbnail problem.  The only thing I can think of is to verify that the thumbnail has the same filename as the clip you what to use it for with the following exceptions.
  • The thumbnail filename begins with what you have defined at PREF_THUMB. The default is '_thb_'.
  • The file extension for the thumbnail needs to be the same as what is defined at the thumbnail extension setting.  The default is '.jpg'.
  • Watch your case sensitivity.
For example let's assume you have a video clip named "MoV0672.wmv", then the thumbnail name (assuming all defaults) would be "_thb_MoV0672.jpg".

Let me know if that doesn't help you.
Jim H

tompbr

Jim,

I thought this might help other not so bright coders.  This may also be in the readme files (that I did not read).  

The videos posted were taken with a camera that gave the movies the titles of *.MOV.  I renamed them all *.mov and the thumbnails kicked into high gear.

I assume this is because the supported extensions in the array are .mov, .avi, .mp4 and so on.

At any rate, hopefully someone else can benefit from my ignorance :lol:

jhollin1138

Quote from: "tompbr"The videos posted were taken with a camera that gave the movies the titles of *.MOV.  I renamed them all *.mov and the thumbnails kicked into high gear.

I assume this is because the supported extensions in the array are .mov, .avi, .mp4 and so on.
I didn't think of that problem myself, but it does make sense.  I'll add that to my list of things to try to come up with a work around.
Jim H

tompbr

Assuming the diagnosis I gave is correct, wouldn't the fix be as simple as adding .MOV, .AVI... to the list of supported media files.

Otherwise, I wouldn't sweat it and merely add it is a bolded warning in a readme file.  (PS - I am glad to hear that I didn't miss this piece of info in a readme.)

jhollin1138

Quote from: "tompbr"Assuming the diagnosis I gave is correct, wouldn't the fix be as simple as adding .MOV, .AVI... to the list of supported media files.
Well, that would be the easy thing to do.  I was more think of a way to remove case sensitivity all together.
Jim H