Author Topic: TodayPlus and var34 - The Real Story  (Read 13549 times)

ya1950

• TodayPlus Pro
TodayPlus and var34 - The Real Story
« on: October 29, 2004, 12:55:38 AM »
I know this has been asked before but I've never seen an answer. After many days of trying to figure out why a section of my skin was not working I can now definitively let you know that TodayPlus supports up to 33 variables. Var34 does not exist  :D

Hope this helps someone else.

uk_skinner

• Global Moderator
  • TodayPlus Veteran
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2004, 05:56:17 AM »
I found similiar thing.  One way to get around is to "double" use the variables between regions.  For instance, in Hammerskin, the weather and RSS regions will not show up at the same time.  Then, there is possibility to use the same variables (especially for the "index" such as scroll bars, because most likely the index will be reset to 1 when you jump out the region).  I did test this in other skins and it worked out.  Just a thought..

jhollin1138

• Administrator
  • TodayPlus Veteran
    • www.jhollin1138.com
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2004, 07:39:06 AM »
I have been there too.

I have been working on adding an RSS region to LightMan's HandyPlus Basic skin when I have some free time, which hasn't been much lately.  I was going nuts trying to get the basic region to load.  I have to admit my TodayPlus skills are rusty.  Then I remembered the whole variable 33 thing.  I searched the skin and found some lower numbered variables that were available.  Sure enough, everything worked.  I still need to finish up the RSS region one of these days.
Jim H

ya1950

• TodayPlus Pro
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2004, 08:54:31 AM »
@uk_skinner Wonderful idea. I'll keep it in mind for the next time.

@Jim Love to see the skin when you get it finished!

Geezer

• TodayPlus Expert
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2004, 01:33:41 PM »
That's funny, I've been asking around that very question.  I'm not understanding this VAR too much.  I was hoping that I could use a different one in my skin (the highest if goes is 21)  So I know now that I can go higher.  Cool!
Toshiba e800, PPC2003 SE, 2.2 Gb MicroDrive, 512 CF, 512 SD, 2 Extended Batteries, Plus other excentric goodies.

Wichtel

• Global Moderator
  • TodayPlus Veteran
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2004, 01:51:09 PM »
The hammerskin is using all 33 at the moment (1.05). :cry: SRS I need more variable  :pray:

uk_skinner

• Global Moderator
  • TodayPlus Veteran
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2004, 01:56:23 PM »
Quote from: "Wichtel"
The hammerskin is using all 33 at the moment (1.05). :cry: SRS I need more variable  :pray:

Hay, I need to go back and check some of the old skin I did.  I thought you still can use variables pass 33 as long as you don't do calculation codes, such addvar...  I will check and let you know...

Edit:  A quick trial.  In Hammerskin,  replace var10 with var51, work!!  But don't use var41, bad!!! You got one var10 back..  I will keep you updated!!

One more, use var52 to replace var24, worked!!!

uk_skinner

• Global Moderator
  • TodayPlus Veteran
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2004, 02:40:17 PM »
var51, var52, var53, var54 and var61 tested.

You can do addvar to them (although I did not test 51,52).  I tested addvar up to 1050.

I think there are more.....

ZapMe1

• TodayPlus Veteran
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2004, 03:13:13 PM »
Great work (once again  :wink: ) uk-skinner

This is good news to know that var's above 33 can be used !!  0-33 vars can be used up quickly when writing a skin..  I've used the "double" method that you mentioned above, and it works !!   But you need to be careful when doing this with certain vars's depending on what they are originally used for, and where they are in the skin !!   Sometimes, using a certain var twice for different things, can cause "strange" operation !!!  :!:
ZapMe1

"The most knowledgable person in the world is not the one who possesses the most knowledge, but the one who surrounds themselves with the greatest number of knowledgable people"

uk_skinner

• Global Moderator
  • TodayPlus Veteran
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2004, 03:15:58 PM »
Quote from: "ZapMe1"
Great work (once again  :wink: ) uk-skinner

This is good news to know that var's above 33 can be used !!  0-33 vars can be used up quickly when writing a skin..  I've used the "double" method that you mentioned above, and it works !!   But you need to be careful when doing this with certain vars's depending on what they are originally used for, and where they are in the skin !!   Sometimes, using a certain var twice for different things, can cause "strange" operation !!!  :!:

I suspected there are a block of vars that you can not used or touched.  When I tried to use 41, it can not even start the TP :shock:  :knownot: .  I think there should be more.... :wink:

ZapMe1

• TodayPlus Veteran
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2004, 03:37:08 PM »
I suspected there are a block of vars that you can not used or touched. When I tried to use 41, it can not even start the TP   . I think there should be more....

I agree..  I've already experienced this !!  I tried using a higher numbered var at one time (can't remember which one it was), but when the button for this var was tapped, it caused a "soft reset" each time !!!!  Very strange !  :think:
ZapMe1

"The most knowledgable person in the world is not the one who possesses the most knowledge, but the one who surrounds themselves with the greatest number of knowledgable people"

uk_skinner

• Global Moderator
  • TodayPlus Veteran
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2004, 04:52:27 PM »
Quote from: "ZapMe1"
I suspected there are a block of vars that you can not used or touched. When I tried to use 41, it can not even start the TP   . I think there should be more....

I agree..  I've already experienced this !!  I tried using a higher numbered var at one time (can't remember which one it was), but when the button for this var was tapped, it caused a "soft reset" each time !!!!  Very strange !  :think:

With further investigation, it is better careful with any var over 33.  I am also thinking maybe also there is a limited numbers of variables you can use.  Just my 10 cents... ZapMe1, I don't know about you, I would like to reflect some inflation rate here.  The price of gas is so high!!!! :roll:

joelw135

• Global Moderator
  • TodayPlus Veteran
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2004, 05:07:30 PM »
Well I was adding to the skin and used Var 51,52,53, 54,61 and the icons all disappeared and then TP wouldn't load. I had to install my backup skin after a soft-reset. Uk_Skinner is going to look at the TP bomb I was working on. I call it a bomb because it blew TP away!!!! :oops:
Dell Axim X3i, Windows Mobile 2003
512mb Kingston SD card
256mb Lexar SD card
Today Plus
WisBar Advanced
PIEPlus
DotPocket

ZapMe1

• TodayPlus Veteran
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2004, 05:17:35 PM »
Quote from: "Uk_Skinner"
With further investigation, it is better careful with any var over 33. I am also thinking maybe also there is a limited numbers of variables you can use. Just my 10 cents... ZapMe1, I don't know about you, I would like to reflect some inflation rate here. The price of gas is so high!!!!

I agree !! ....
Maybe between us all, we can put our experience together, and post a list calling it "Var's.. Good and Bad" !!   It could contain our combined experience of all the var's that work, and the ones we should stay away from !!
What do you think ??   :?:  :think:
ZapMe1

Geezer

• TodayPlus Expert
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2004, 05:34:41 PM »
This is exactly what I think would help the rest of us newbies..  Expecially since I need more VARS too.   :wink:
Toshiba e800, PPC2003 SE, 2.2 Gb MicroDrive, 512 CF, 512 SD, 2 Extended Batteries, Plus other excentric goodies.