Author Topic: XDA Exec with WM5 and TP  (Read 7522 times)

Abram

• TodayPlus User
XDA Exec with WM5 and TP
« on: October 31, 2005, 11:12:29 AM »
Hi all,
I've not posted for a while. I had been finishing my thesis and busy with the kids. I've been lurking though once in a while.  :oops:

Anyway, I'm strongly thinking of getting the Exec (I've been running TP on the XDA 2, WM2003SE before). Having finished my exams, I thought a birthday treat is a good idea. Any excuse for a new toy :wink:

Any thoughts on how it will react to TP. I'd love to keep running it if possible. If it does run, I reckon it will be with a vga skin, won't  it? Any pointers to look out for, tips, etc?

Again many thanks to you guys for keeping TP alive,

Al.

PS: Within minutes of posting this, I saw the link for Wisbar Advance Desktop at their site. Looks a bit alike in functionailty to TP, does it? Any comments?

Broesel

• TodayPlus Veteran
Re: XDA Exec with WM5 and TP
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2005, 03:01:51 PM »
Quote from: "Abram"
Hi all,
I've not posted for a while. I had been finishing my thesis and busy with the kids. I've been lurking though once in a while.  :oops:

Well, everybody has a "real" live :wink:

Anyway, I'm strongly thinking of getting the Exec (I've been running TP on the XDA 2, WM2003SE before). Having finished my exams, I thought a birthday treat is a good idea. Any excuse for a new toy :wink:

Any thoughts on how it will react to TP. I'd love to keep running it if possible. If it does run, I reckon it will be with a vga skin, won't  it? Any pointers to look out for, tips, etc?

Oh no thoughts from me, because I still use my HP Jornada with PPC2002
and it does still run fine (even if the battery doesn' live right long)

PS: Within minutes of posting this, I saw the link for Wisbar Advance Desktop at their site. Looks a bit alike in functionailty to TP, does it? Any comments?

Yes, WAD seems to be a part of the PPC-future and I know some TodayPlus-users
that are trying with this new thing. Maybe Jim should create a new forum to
discuss Wisbar Advance Desktop, so there could come some new users
to the forum.

What' s your opinion ???

Regards Broesel

DeftOne

• TodayPlus User
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2005, 03:54:09 PM »

I'm interested in learning more about WAD, but I don't have forever and a day to wait for their forum to load.   :P  

Is it just me, or is their forum obnoxiously slow?

Thanks for the heads-up on the new Wisbar product, Abram.

Abram

• TodayPlus User
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2005, 04:02:37 AM »
Quote from: "Broesel"

Oh no thoughts from me, because I still use my HP Jornada with PPC2002
and it does still run fine (even if the battery doesn' live right long)

Thanks Broesel! You could get a cheap new battery for that on Ebay! I did before and what difference it makes! :wink:

Yes, WAD seems to be a part of the PPC-future and I know some TodayPlus-users
that are trying with this new thing. Maybe Jim should create a new forum to
discuss Wisbar Advance Desktop, so there could come some new users
to the forum.

What' s your opinion ???

Regards Broesel

Not a bad idea at all if it will not contravene either Jim's or Lakeridge's principles. As most of us already have WA installed, $7 for desktop won't make much difference. Looks skinable as well! I'll stick with TP though if it's workable. Maybe out of a sense of loyalty or maybe because it was the first kid on the block to do it "all"!  :lol:

@ DeftOne

Sure, I did notice the site seems a bit slow on my first visit. Better on the next though! It does look quite nice but I wonder if it will clash with TP on WM2003SE. Maybe it's time to find out.  :lol:

Abram

• TodayPlus User
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2005, 03:39:17 PM »
Hi,
I'm up and running with TP and WM5 on the O2 xda exec. I had it all on my 1gb SD card so I just re-installed the cab and set the base path. I have a feeling though that once the buffer's cleared I'm up the creek without a proverbial paddle. This is because the config exe is completely cleared of all my original settings yet the Reduced Hammerskin (@ukskinner, [thanks uk and Wichtel once again for my fav skin]) still runs.

I think I might need to re-set it all up. I never got round to figuring how to export my registry settings and so save me the pain of RE-SETTING UP EVERYTHING FROM CITY TO RSS.

I figure I might need some help to take TP one step further. I'll post some more later.

Broesel

• TodayPlus Veteran
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2005, 04:24:28 PM »
I'm up and running with TP and WM5 on the O2 xda exec.

Good news, so the story goes on .....

I figure I might need some help to take TP one step further. I'll post some more later.

Well, you know the adress  :D

Regards Broesel

Abram

• TodayPlus User
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2005, 12:40:17 PM »
Quote from: "Broesel"

Well, you know the adress  :D

Regards Broesel

I told you I'll be back with problems.  :oops:  I been running TP for days now, quite uneventfully ( for TP) but struggling with my other software not yet compatible with wm5.

Several minor things first. The whole vga screen thing -  rectified by Ozvga and hires.  The skin 2B-vga works well (many thanks to Geezer for this skin) after that. The font becomes really tiny but there's enough real estate on the today screen for zen phone as well. So this is good. On the other hand my icons were enormous plunging my skin off symmetry. So no shortcuts on the main page.

Hammerskin realvga works excellently (Vielen dank, Wichtel!). However, because in the new OS, there are 2 new lines at the bottom for the systray which is a waste of the todayscreen real estate. This issue is being discussed here. So the dreaded scrollbar show its ugly head. AGAIN! :evil: Until we know how to get rid of this, we might just need to resize TP (as in the reduced skin versions).

In addition, on landscape, TP does not fill up the screen so the is about 2cm of blank space. I don't know if this will be easy to rectify. Probably a landscape skin or something.

I never got my radar to work for some reason. Knowing me I probably had the STOR paths wrong but again I'm just using previous radar txts that worked on wm2003se.

Now the fun bit!  :evil:

Finally a hard reset, and fresh install. I get a notification for "TP exe being not being run at startup because it's untrusted or corrupt so please reinstall" I did! NO change, same message on reboot.

Then I load my Hammerskin real vga. No weather! Connect, it upgrades but no weather. Change skin, connect, NO WEATHER! Maybe weather sites were down!
Tried now and still no change!

Just about to give up when I thought  give the TP community a chance to do a good deed before I get frustrated! :lol: So here I am and that's what I've been up to[/url]

Abram

• TodayPlus User
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2005, 03:54:50 PM »

Then I load my Hammerskin real vga. No weather! Connect, it upgrades but no weather. Change skin, connect, NO WEATHER! Maybe weather sites were down!
Tried now and still no change!

Surprise, surprise! The weather just came on on syncing with home pc.

Just about to give up when I thought  give the TP community a chance to do a good deed before I get frustrated! :lol: So here I am and that's what I've been up to.

I still need you help on the other stuff if you can.

Many thanks!

Abram

• TodayPlus User
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2005, 11:53:53 AM »
Hi all,
I've had a go with WA desktop and there are performance issues with the Exec. I've also been test-driving Pocket weather, iLauncher and Pocketbreeze together as a package. In addition, I've also had a go at SPB Pocket plus which seem to be their competition. I must have been spoilt rotten with TP as none of these really seem to satisfy. In a way, I'm beginning to understand why someone would want to take it and commercialize it. It is such a fantastic product considering how early it was developped. Wherever you are SRS, I do doff my hat to you once more in sincere admiration.

As you can tell by now, I'm really very reluctant to part with TP as IMO it does it all better and in one neat package. Do I have to decide now which alternative "replacement product" to go for? Does any of our developers have any plans to run with TP on WM5 platform? Are our skinners looking into prolonging the ectasy of using TP  when they do upgrade their devices, as they will ultimately do?

Anyone? Any ideas? Or are we at the end of the road?  :cry:  (sniffs and wipes his running nose with the back of his hand).

Timmy

• TodayPlus Veteran
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2005, 02:41:55 PM »
Hi all,
I've had a go with WA desktop and there are performance issues with the Exec. I've also been test-driving Pocket weather, iLauncher and Pocketbreeze together as a package. In addition, I've also had a go at SPB Pocket plus which seem to be their competition. I must have been spoilt rotten with TP as none of these really seem to satisfy. In a way, I'm beginning to understand why someone would want to take it and commercialize it. It is such a fantastic product considering how early it was developped. Wherever you are SRS, I do doff my hat to you once more in sincere admiration.

As you can tell by now, I'm really very reluctant to part with TP as IMO it does it all better and in one neat package. Do I have to decide now which alternative "replacement product" to go for? Does any of our developers have any plans to run with TP on WM5 platform? Are our skinners looking into prolonging the ectasy of using TP  when they do upgrade their devices, as they will ultimately do?

Anyone? Any ideas? Or are we at the end of the road?  :cry:  (sniffs and wipes his running nose with the back of his hand).

Abram,

You say the words I'm often thinking! I underline everything you wrote here. It's said more than once here: TodayPlus IS the best! No other program has so much in it as TodayPlus!

I hope, like you, some people who know more about computing than me  will give TodayPlus a new life at the WM5 platform.

Timmy
Toshiba e750BT, WM 2003, Today Plus 0.11.0, WISbar Adv, Agenda Fusion, Pocket Slides, TomTom