• Welcome to TodayPlus Boards v2.

Newbie Reference - Quick Start Guide.

Started by maestro, January 14, 2004, 08:10:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maestro

Just a quick start guide for anyone looking to use this program for the first time. Hope this helps, please let me know if i've missed anything and I'll try to update.  This is a great program and thanks to all who have worked on this project.

NOTE: Please perform a full backup of your PocketPC before attempting any program installation.  Unless you don't care about the chance of loosing data.  This is just a normal precaution I suggest taking.
Additionally, when you are entering information, there is usually an OK button at the top.  If you wish to save what you entered into the boxes, please remember to press that button.

1. Download the .Net compact Framework Click Here to your Computer's Desktop.
2. Install this application to your pocket pc by double-clicking on the installation file on your Desktop. After the installation is complete, "soft-reset" your pocket pc.
3. Download the newest version of Today Plus Click Here to your Desktop.
4. Unzip the file downloaded and transfer the .cab file onto your Pocket PC.
5. Go to the file explorer on your pocket pc, find the .cab file and click on it to start the installation.
6. After the program is installed, click your Start button (on your ppc) then Programs, then TodayPlus Config.
7. In this screen Select the General Tab, and under the option Select Skin (DLL) click the down arrow. Select slider.txt .
8. Next click on the Owner Info Tab, Enter all Information.
   Note: Make sure that you enter the Location: Lat: and Long:
   To find your coordinates go to this webpage: http://www.heavens-above.com/
9. Next click on the Weather/RSS Tab.  Click Add New under Weather, and (while connected to the internet, docked etc.)    select the city where you wish to recieve weather reports for. Click OK at the top to save these selections.
10. Under RSS click Add New and enter the URL of the newsfeed that you wish to receieve, and give it a short name as well         in the name box. Click OK at the top to save these selections.
11. Next click on the Time/Storage tab. Under Time, click Add New and give your time zone as well as a short name for this location.Click ok to save.  Under Storage Paths click Add new and select a directory you wish to monitor for storage space. Click ok to save.
12. Click Shortcuts tab.  Under Shortcuts - Groups click Add new and enter a name for a group. (example, Apps, or games). Click ok to save.  Select the shortcut group you wish to create a shortcut under.  (example click on Apps), then under shortcuts click on Add New.  From the list find an application you wish to make a shortcut to, select it, give it a short name and click ok to save.
13. You can modify POOM and the POOM Filters screens but I do not have the instructions yet written for these. I will update soon.
14. At the top click the X to exit the configuration screen.
15. Exit all other applications and return to your 'today' screen.  The Today Plus items you have setup will be shown on your screen.  To remove your Windows items that duplicate the ones you have setup, such as time, click Start, then settings, click on Today, then the items tab. And unselect all of the items you do not want to show on your today screen.  Make sure to leave TodayPlus selected. Click ok at the top to save.
16. Enjoy!

FAQ:
Question: What is POOM?
Answer:   Pocket Outlook Object Module.  The Poom tabs can be used to alter contact, and appointment information.

Questions: What is RSS?
   Answer:RSS is a Web content syndication format.
   Its name is an acronym for Really Simple Syndication.
   RSS is dialect of XML. All RSS files must conform to the XML 1.0 specification, as    published on the World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) website.
   At the top level, a RSS document is a <rss> element, with a mandatory attribute called    version, that specifies the version of RSS that the document conforms to. If it conforms    to this specification, the version attribute must be 2.0.
   Subordinate to the <rss> element is a single <channel> element, which contains information    about the channel (metadata) and its contents.
Source:http://www.infoworld.com/rss/rss_info.html
RSS Feed Links: http://www.newsisfree.com/ , http://www.syndic8.com
Thanks,
Maestro

Eitel

Welcome, and I must say that this is a great first post. Consider it "stickyfied"!  (Is that even a word?)

athelstan

Maestro

I did try runnning through this yesterday - it's easily the most helpful post I've seen, and I did get somewhere following it.  But not so far that I could smile :roll:

Trouble is, I really am non-techy.  I mean, this is college stuff and I'm still playing in the sandpit!  

Tell you what - if you're willing, I'd be happy to write "Today Plus" for dummies if I can have access to someone's programming brain.  I guess it's the best I can offer - I write OK so long as it's English!  It may not be very attractive as you obviously could do it yourself!

cheers
Andy Stansfield
e800

maestro

How far did you get? In the next couple of days, I'm installing this from scratch on another PDA and will post pretty much every step, on the PPC 2002 system.  I don't have a 2003, but everything should be just about the same.  If you can let me know which part you are stuck at, I'll try to be a bit more detailed.
Thanks,
Maestro

athelstan

Thanks for the various comments - I've managed to load the weatheronly skin and it appears to be working - all dark arts to me!

I'll look forward to your step-by-step.

Perhaps a library of modules that can be added together would be a good idea for them liike me?  A weather module, a time zone module, etc?

I still think you're a bunch of magicians :wink:
Andy Stansfield
e800

coachmans

Quote3. Download the newest version of Today Plus Click Here to your Desktop

If I click on the CLICK HERE, i get the message : Sorry but you are not authorized to view or download this Attachment

How can I still download the program?

ronako

I've got the same message, no authorize. wondering if this downloadable, or I did something wrong?

Broesel

lomba

jsacer

well, i found at PPC-Welt.info (a german board about the Pocket PC) a threat about TodayPlus (http://www.ppc-welt-community.info/Community/showthread.php?s=&threadid=34790)
and was guided to this board.

So i registered me to search for the Programm - and now i get the information that there's no way to download the Tool !  :(

So - why register to this board when there's no possibility to download and use the program  :?:  :?:  :?:  
@admins - wouldn't it better to deactivate the Register-Button?

As a guest i can also read the postings and without the possibility to use the program there's no need to write postings (and to register)
happy postings, jsacer

joelw135

The program is still available on the internet, but since the developer doesn't want to have anything to do with the application, he has asked that it no longer be available to download on this forum. I am sure someone will get back to you with some help.
Dell Axim X3i, Windows Mobile 2003
512mb Kingston SD card
256mb Lexar SD card
Today Plus
WisBar Advanced
PIEPlus
DotPocket

orbyte

justfor giggles, what was the latest version released before srs went underground?
0.9.3 doesnt have this config utility?

joelw135

11 was released and version 12 was in beta testing, and that got out to.
Dell Axim X3i, Windows Mobile 2003
512mb Kingston SD card
256mb Lexar SD card
Today Plus
WisBar Advanced
PIEPlus
DotPocket

orbyte

OH boy...the search continues I suppose, I got ahold of 093 and I really like this program

I read through the thread on the brighthand forums, great bunch of guys and a nice community.

grijs

Hi,

Can anyone tell me if version 0.11.0 which I dwndl a couple of weeks ago has all the options of the older versions.
Or should I Use a patch to get it properly working (and which one?).

thnx bart