News:

No news is good news.

Main Menu

weather update

Started by tonyaross, October 01, 2006, 09:55:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GJCV

Quote from: Morpheus on May 01, 2007, 09:28:42 PM

I have added a button in the same location as the refresh on the HandyBasicPlus skin which starts TPExedelay
I have copied radar.exe and TPDelay.Exe [...]
I have created a TPExeDelay.txt file [...]
I have created a Radar.txt file in [...]
The radar.log contains [...]

Does anyone have any idea as to what i am doing wrong?

Thanks,

Morpheus

Morpheus,

Can you test the radar.exe and radar.txt with your old skin (that is without the potential interference of TPexeDelay.exe)?

The reason that I'm asking is that I set up radar.exe and radar.txt first, without any changes to the skin and without TPexeDelay.exe, and that was running just fine. I only needed to update my weather manually by running radar.exe.

Next I started to modify the skin (I am using the Hammerskin). First of all, it does not work (yet), by that I mean that is if TP triggers an update, I don't see any evidence of TPexeDelay.exe or Radar.exe starting up, and second I do get a lot of other problems. The TP update process sometimes is hanging, furthermore if you then manually start Radar.exe anything can happen: error messages in the log, unresponsive PDA, soft reset does not work etc. Fortunately I could still access the PDA by ActiveSync - Explore and clear the Buffer folder, followed by soft reset, that did work. Obviously I do not yet master the art of modifying Wichtels very nice  :approve: Hammerskin,  I am working on that...

To cut a long story short, that's why am asking if the problem goes away if you're using the old skin.

Regards, GJCV

Morpheus

Quote from: Broesel on May 02, 2007, 01:43:18 PM

Hey Morpheus, just tested with your locations and it worked fine ?
The radar.exe I' m using, ist the one from this thread:
http://forums.jhollin1138.com/index.php?topic=1827.0

I'm attaching the radar.txt I used (maybe there is an error in your txt-file)

Regards Broesel

Hi Broesel both exes were from that thread but the bigger one (not in first post) seems to  also create a log file. The problem with the update seems to have gone away for the moment as it is now working via ActiveSync as well. Somebody was talking about getting the update working with auto-refreshes so I may look into that.

Thanks,

Morpheus

P.S. I found a third radar.exe file in the same thread which has an xml configuration file. Which one do people generall use.
IPAQ H2210, WM2003, SimpleTech 512MB SD Card, Proporta Aluminium Case

Morpheus

Quote from: GJCV on May 02, 2007, 04:23:27 PM
Quote from: Morpheus on May 01, 2007, 09:28:42 PM

I have added a button in the same location as the refresh on the HandyBasicPlus skin which starts TPExedelay
I have copied radar.exe and TPDelay.Exe [...]
I have created a TPExeDelay.txt file [...]
I have created a Radar.txt file in [...]
The radar.log contains [...]

Does anyone have any idea as to what i am doing wrong?

Thanks,

Morpheus

Morpheus,

Can you test the radar.exe and radar.txt with your old skin (that is without the potential interference of TPexeDelay.exe)?

The reason that I'm asking is that I set up radar.exe and radar.txt first, without any changes to the skin and without TPexeDelay.exe, and that was running just fine. I only needed to update my weather manually by running radar.exe.

Next I started to modify the skin (I am using the Hammerskin). First of all, it does not work (yet), by that I mean that is if TP triggers an update, I don't see any evidence of TPexeDelay.exe or Radar.exe starting up, and second I do get a lot of other problems. The TP update process sometimes is hanging, furthermore if you then manually start Radar.exe anything can happen: error messages in the log, unresponsive PDA, soft reset does not work etc. Fortunately I could still access the PDA by ActiveSync - Explore and clear the Buffer folder, followed by soft reset, that did work. Obviously I do not yet master the art of modifying Wichtels very nice  :approve: Hammerskin,  I am working on that...

To cut a long story short, that's why am asking if the problem goes away if you're using the old skin.

Regards, GJCV

The two old skins I use HandyPlus Basic and OSX complete didn't originally have radar.exe at all and hence I had to modify it. Do you want me to map Radar.exe instead of TpExeDelay? What exactly are you trying to see from this test?

Morpheus

GJCV

Quote from: Morpheus on May 02, 2007, 04:38:44 PM
The two old skins I use HandyPlus Basic and OSX complete didn't originally have radar.exe at all and hence I had to modify it. Do you want me to map Radar.exe instead of TpExeDelay? What exactly are you trying to see from this test?
Morpheus

I wondered if radar.exe & radar.txt would work for you if you just started it manually without TPexeDelay.exe (potentially) running.
To test this you would have to switch to your old skin, soft reset, then tap radar.exe.
Just trying to narrow down the problem: If radar.exe works as a standalone application, your problem should be in the skin and/or TPexeDelay.exe, otherwise it may be the version of Radar.exe and/or radar.txt

Morpheus

Quote from: GJCV on May 02, 2007, 05:06:12 PM
Quote from: Morpheus on May 02, 2007, 04:38:44 PM
Morpheus

I wondered if radar.exe & radar.txt would work for you if you just started it manually without TPexeDelay.exe (potentially) running.
To test this you would have to switch to your old skin, soft reset, then tap radar.exe.
Just trying to narrow down the problem: If radar.exe works as a standalone application, your problem should be in the skin and/or TPexeDelay.exe, otherwise it may be the version of Radar.exe and/or radar.txt

Ah ok I thought it was to help you troubleshoot your problems and hence was a bit confused . As i said in one of the posts above the problem seems to have gone away and all is working well (except TP+ auto-updates on activesync connection) but I think someone mentioed a way around this earlier in the thread.

Thanks anyway,

Morpheus

P.S. the radar.exe I am using is working its just that there are three programs with the same name and hence its a bit confusing as which is the current one/best version as they seem to have been posted by different people.

ZapMe1

@Morpheus:

As per your request in your PM, I've attached an AutoImgDL file that will run Radar.exe from \SD Card\Todayplus\Radar.exe

This will happen about 15 sec after detecting a WiFi connection  For this to work automatically, you must use PHM Tools, or even MortScript.

Details are in this thread.  http://forums.jhollin1138.com/index.php?topic=1717.0

Hope this is what you wanted.  Let me know if all is well!  8-)
ZapMe1

"The most knowledgable person in the world is not the one who possesses the most knowledge, but the one who surrounds themselves with the greatest number of knowledgable people"

Morpheus

Thanks ZapMe1,

Your mention of MortScript (once i found out what it was) gave me an idea on how to deal with the auto refresh issue by approaching the problem in a similar way to a unix shell script or Perl Script. I have written a MortScript that will check if an internet connection exists and weather the City1.txt file exists and has zero size and if so run Radar.exe . This effectively means that everytime TP splats over the weather info with an auto-refesh the script will detect this and update the data via Radar.exe.

Anyway The script is as follows plus a small script to stop it.

# TPWeatherRefreshUpdater.mscr:
#   Update the weather after a TP refresh

# Loop indefinitely
While ( 1 )

# Check if we can access the tpfans site and have a useful network connection for updating
    isConnected = InternetConnected( "http://72.9.224.178/~tpfansc/" )
    If ( isConnected )

# if the city1.txt exists and is empty then TP has refreshed
        If ( FileExists( "\SD Card\TodayPlus\buffer\City1.txt" ) &&  \
             FileSize( "\SD Card\TodayPlus\buffer\City1.txt") < 100 )

# Short pause of 3 seconds to try and detect a manual refresh
   Sleep( 3000 )

# Make sure Radar.exe isn't already running
               If ( NOT ProcExists ( "Radar.exe" ) )
                  RunWait( "\SD Card\TodayPlus\Radar.exe" )
                  # Force update of today screen to cause the new data to be read
                  RedrawToday
               EndIf
        EndIf
    EndIf

# wait 60 seconds
    Sleep( 60000 )

EndWhile

The script to stop this running:-

# StopTPWeatherRefreshUpdater.mscr:
#   Stop the refresh updater script if its running

refreshUpdater = "\Program Files\TodayPlus\TPWeatherRefreshUpdater.mscr"
If ( ScriptProcExists( refreshUpdater ) )
    If ( Question( "Stop TodayPlus Weather Refresh Updater process?" ) = YES )
        KillScript( "TPWeatherRefreshUpdater.mscr" )
    EndIf
Else
    Run( refreshUpdater )
EndIf

HTH,

Morpheus

P.S.
Obviously MortScript has to be installed for this to work (tested with version 4.0) just in case anyone else wants to try it.
Creating a shortcut to the script in your \Windows\startup folder will start it automatically on a reset. If you want it to check for a refresh more frequently than once a minute lower the value in the Sleep (60000) function call to a suitable number of milliseconds.

*edit* Now redraws the Today screen so that new weather data is displayed

Papita

If you are using the hammerskin all you have to do is download the TpExeDelay.exe file from http://todayplus.jhollin1138.com/files/uk_skinner/TpExeDelay.zip.
The TpExeDelay:  It is an exe that will launch any exe after the weather information is updated in TP.  List all the exe you wish to run in the TpExeDelay.txt and place this text file in \My Documents\.  The exe file can be anywhere Please note: each line of file pathway needs to be ended by a "return" even for the last one.  For example:

\SD Card\TodayPlus\Radar\Radar.exe<---hit return right after exe
in the TpExeDelay.txt delete

\Tp_Pack\TpRegistryWind.exe
\Tp_Pack\TpSkyTranslate.exe

and insert

\SD Card\TodayPlus\Radar\Radar.exe<---hit return right after exe

or the path where radar.exe is located. Then in the TodayPlus Config in shortcuts substitude the 7th groups,Apps7, the shortcut to Radar.exe with TpExeDelay.exe then go to the General tap and Clear Buffer and Reload Pluggin it should work.