Author Topic: Tp Weather Utility  (Read 23732 times)

uk_skinner

• Global Moderator
  • TodayPlus Veteran
Tp Weather Utility
« on: January 22, 2005, 07:16:08 AM »
Here is what I have for now.  Thanks for all your idea (Broesel, Timmy and thc).  

Warning:  Please backup your PPC and registry keys since all exe will modify your registry keys.

To able to further use/modify the weather information from the MSN.com, several small exe (actually they are fat) are posted here for skinner to use.  It is my suggestion that you should not try this if you are not very familiar to TodayPlus system.  If they are useful, the skin developer will include them in their package in the future.  And I believe them they will have a better instruction than mine here.  After all, English is not my primary language.

TpExeDelay:  It is an exe that will launch any exe after the weather information is updated in TP.  List all the exe you wish to run in the TpExeDelay.txt and place this text file in \My Documents\.  The exe file can be anywhere (Edit: thc reported that there is a problem when he put it in iPAQ Filestore.  I would suggest put it in /Program File for now until I can identify the problem).  You need add a button code to link it, just like the one for radar.exe in Hammerskin.  Please note: each line of file pathway needs to be ended by a "return" even for the last one.  For example:

\SD Card\TodayPlus\TpRegistryWind.exe<---hit return right after exe
\SD Card\TodayPlus\TpSkyTranslate.exe<---hit return right after exe

Get  TpExeDelay here.

Edit:  Updated on 23Jan05.  Fix the problem that can not launch exe from iPAQ File Store in hx4700.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For English users, if you wish to display Wind Direction as in image that was made by Timmy.  You need: TpExeDelay and TpRegistryWindDir.

TpRegistryWindDir.exe:  It will extract the wind direction and convert into wind index and storage it in registry key for each of your city.  For example: \HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\SRSSoft\TodayPlus\var\c1windir.  You can then assign the wind index to a var (““calcvar,var19,fromconfig,c1windir") and call different images.

Get  TpRegistryWindDir here.

Edit@ 09Feb05 10:15AM EST (GMT-5) Support French Word for "W"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For Non-English users, if you wish:

Translate Sky information from English (Cloudy) to your language (Bewölkt, German).  Then you need: TpExeDelay and TpSkyTranslate.

TpSkyTranslate.exe:  It will extract the “Sky” information and search the match one from Sky.txt and write the translated information in registry key for each of your city.  For example: \HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\SRSSoft\TodayPlus\text\c1sky.  To access translated Sky information, just use “text,x,y,%c1sky%,c” in the skin.

Import the Wind Speed and Visibility.  Then you need: TpExeDelay and TpRegistryWind.

TpRegistryWind:  It will extract the number of Wind Speed and Visibility into registry key for each city.  For example: \HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\SRSSoft\TodayPlus\var\c1windsd(c1vis).  To access it, just use “calcvar,var19,fromconfig,c1windsd".  You can do a calculation to convert it from mhr to kmhr.

Edit @ 28Jan05 4:15PM EST (GMT-5): Add TpRegistryWindEurope
Edit @ 29Jan05 7:00AM EST (GMT-5): Change "999" as "unlimited" for Vis.

Edit @01Feb05 6:00AM EST (GMT-5):  Add TpRegistryWindEuropeS.exe

TpRegistryWindEurope:  Does everything TpRegistryWind but will write wind speed and visibility in km.  If anything over 990, it will write 990.

Get  TpSkyTranslate and TpRegistryWind here.

For French Users, if you wish use French abbreviation for wind direction, such as from “NWW “to “NOO”, you need TpExeDelay and TpRegistryWindFr.

TpRegistryWindFr:  It does everything just like TpRegistryWind and also writes the translated Wind Direction French Abbreviation into registry key.  For example: \HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\SRSSoft\TodayPlus\text\c1windr.  To access it just use “text,x,y,%c1windr%,c” in the skin.

As request by thc, TpRegistryWindFR_S is a silent one.  It will not give you any notification even there is an error.

I would not say these exe are perfect now, please test them if you are interesting.  Please post the comment/suggestion or bugs here and I will update them if necessary.

Get  TpRegistryWindFr here.

Timmy

• TodayPlus Veteran
Tp Weather Utility
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2005, 09:23:59 AM »
Uk_skinner,

This is real fun!!!  

I'm so glad you've found this board some month ago...  

It's nice to work together with you! And your lively thoughts and daring experiments and  .exe's made clear how beautiful the skin-hobby is!

Thanks!

Timmy
Toshiba e750BT, WM 2003, Today Plus 0.11.0, WISbar Adv, Agenda Fusion, Pocket Slides, TomTom

uk_skinner

• Global Moderator
  • TodayPlus Veteran
Tp Weather Utility
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2005, 09:29:32 AM »
I could not do this alone..  Thanks for the help from you and others.  We are quite "isolated" as you can tell from the comments from BrightHand.  Every once a while, the TodayPlus issue will cause a "hot" discussion.

Well, at least for me, just do this for fun...

uk_skinner

• Global Moderator
  • TodayPlus Veteran
Tp Weather Utility
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2005, 01:07:06 PM »
thc found out that he got an error message when he placed TpExeDelay in iPAQ Filestore.  The problem went away when it was placed in /Program Files.  At this moment, I have no clue why it happened.

Does anyone has problem to run it from the storage device?

thc

• TodayPlus User
Tp Weather Utility
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2005, 02:47:43 PM »
After several attempts, TpExeDelay seems works only ram, at least on french hx4700.

uk_skinner

• Global Moderator
  • TodayPlus Veteran
Tp Weather Utility
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2005, 05:17:06 PM »
I confirmed thc's testing results on hx4705..  The TpExeDwlay only will work from RAM at his moment.  I will do some investigation.

Edit:  After further testing on both iPAQ 4355 (WM2003) and hx4705 (WM2003SE, VGA), here were my observation.

1)  All the programs seemed to be fine in iPAQ 4355.  I tested from main memory and storage card (SD).

2)  On hx 4705, put all the utility on SD card and TpExeDelay on memory, all of them worked.  However, it appeared there is an extra "character" before the file pathway of the first called program.  Yet, the program did run without any problem.

Another Microsoft thing???? :knownot:

uk_skinner

• Global Moderator
  • TodayPlus Veteran
Tp Weather Utility
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2005, 07:13:48 AM »
Ok, this time I should not blame to Micorsoft.  I did a slight modification in the codes.  thc has confirmed the problem has solved.  Please download the updated TpExeDelay.exe one from the first post.

Timmy

• TodayPlus Veteran
Tp Weather Utility
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2005, 03:17:01 PM »
Uk_skinner,

This evening I'm testing the things posted in this thread. To begin simple, I put  '\My Documents\Radar\Radar.exe' in the TpExeDelay.txt
but clicking on TpExeDelay.exe gives the message:

Code: [Select]
Process
Not Found

What did I do wrong?

Timmy
Toshiba e750BT, WM 2003, Today Plus 0.11.0, WISbar Adv, Agenda Fusion, Pocket Slides, TomTom

thc

• TodayPlus User
Tp Weather Utility
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2005, 03:26:26 PM »
it's work only when it's associate with a button command to the refresh button under your skin like:

imagebutton,8,112,Aktualisierungsbutton_main.png,t,-1,7,-nohighlight,-1
button,8,100,220,26,-1,0,%apps-7-5

uk_skinner

• Global Moderator
  • TodayPlus Veteran
Tp Weather Utility
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2005, 03:36:38 PM »
Timmy:

This is normal, although I think I need to change it.

If you just tap the TpExeDelay under file explorer, it will give you this message.  This program designed to detect the weather updating process from TP then launch the exe from the TpExeDelay.txt after that process ended.  If your TP is not downloading then it will tell you the "Process is not found" then just quit.

To make it work, you need to have a new button code triggered when you do the weather downloading.  For instance, in your skin, your update codes is: "imagebutton,72,2,refresh.png,t,0,7,,-1", you just need add "button,72,2,x,y,-1,0,file pathway to TpExeDelay.exe".  

There is a way to test it without modify the skin, but you have to be "quick".  Go to your TP and trigger a "updateing" then before it ends, quick go to file explorer find the TpExeDelay.exe and tap on it.

Timmy

• TodayPlus Veteran
Tp Weather Utility
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2005, 03:41:34 PM »
@thc and @uk_skinner,

Thank you both for your answer! I understand how it works and I'll try it the way you both showed me.

Thanks!
Timmy

thc

• TodayPlus User
Tp Weather Utility
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2005, 03:49:22 PM »
your welcome  :)

Timmy

• TodayPlus Veteran
Tp Weather Utility
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2005, 03:14:04 PM »
Uk_skinner,

The following lines are working well,
\Program Files\Uk_skinner\TpRegistryWindDir.exe
\Program Files\Uk_skinner\TpSkyTranslate.exe
\Program Files\Uk_skinner\TpRegistryWind.exe
\Program Files\Uk_skinner\Radar.exe
\Program Files\Uk_skinner\weerDL.exe
\Program Files\Uk_skinner\EarthViewDL.exe

except the line:  \Program Files\Uk_skinner\TpRegistryWind.exe

I get the following message

Error
Could not open Sky.txt!

Do you know the reason?

Timmy

Broesel

• TodayPlus Veteran
Tp Weather Utility
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2005, 03:24:53 PM »
Quote from: "Timmy"

I get the following message

Error
Could not open Sky.txt!

Do you know the reason?

Timmy

Timmy, did you place the sky.txt in the TodayPlus Main directory ?
(Same place, where the forecasttext.txt is)

And if so,  try to set your basebath to Progam files\TodayPlus, because
else the exe cannot find the Sky.txt.

Greetings Broesel

thc

• TodayPlus User
Tp Weather Utility
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2005, 03:25:14 PM »
have you put Sky.txt into TodayPlus folder?