Author Topic: Hourly Forecast  (Read 13846 times)

uk_skinner

  • Global Moderator
  • TodayPlus Veteran
  • *****
  • Posts: 1313
Hourly Forecast
« on: February 14, 2005, 10:43:48 AM »
This new feature will be done by the combination of PHP script, radar.exe and small exe.

Here is the idea and process.

1)   Use PHP script to extract the hourly forecast information from weather.com (http://www.weather.com/activities/other/other/weather/fcst-hrly.html?locid=20850)
2)   Use radar.exe to download a text format file (hfore.txt) to the Buffer folder.
3)   Use a small exe (TpHourFore.exe) to get all the information into either “HKEY_CURRENT_USER,L"Software\\SRSSoft\\TodayPlus\\var” or “HKEY_CURRENT_USER,L"Software\\SRSSoft\\TodayPlus\\text”
4)   In the TP skin, then you can use “text” code to display “text” information and for weather icon, use “calcvar” to retrieve the icon number then display in TP.

Here is an example, and the rest is up to skinner to “expand it”.

Alternatively, all information also can be download as RSS format and skinner can use RSS to display text information.

Broesel

  • TodayPlus Veteran
  • *****
  • Posts: 595
Re: Hourly Forecast
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2005, 11:00:54 AM »
Quote from: "uk_skinner"
This new feature will be done by the combination of PHP script, radar.exe and small exe.



Whow, I'll love it  :D

Very nice work again ....  (When can we test it  :oops:  :?: )

Regards Broesel :lol:

uk_skinner

  • Global Moderator
  • TodayPlus Veteran
  • *****
  • Posts: 1313
Hourly Forecast
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2005, 11:20:36 AM »
Broesel:

  I just finished the "proof of concept".  The PHP, exe were made and I will try to make the whole thing together.

Broesel

  • TodayPlus Veteran
  • *****
  • Posts: 595
Hourly Forecast
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2005, 11:24:00 AM »
Quote from: "uk_skinner"
Broesel:

  I just finished the "proof of concept".  The PHP, exe were made and I will try to make the whole thing together.


Sorry, I understood it was ready for use  :oops:

Regards Broesel

uk_skinner

  • Global Moderator
  • TodayPlus Veteran
  • *****
  • Posts: 1313
Hourly Forecast
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2005, 11:29:13 AM »
Broesel:

  No problem at all.

  There are some details I need to pin down.
   For example:

   You guys like the 24 hour time format and USA users prefer 12-hour (AM/PM) format.  Also I need to try to see I can do it from de.weather or fr.weather sites then I don't need do the conversion/translation.  If that is not possible then I have to do the conversion/translation.

   I was too exciting that another new feature is possible. . :oops:  So I decided to post the concept first.  I guess this hourly forecast can go very further, perhpas at least 24 hours.


broesel, is this the hourly page for your city:
http://de.weather.com/weather/hourbyhour/GMXX0039

This is different from the one I did but it should not be a probelm.

Broesel

  • TodayPlus Veteran
  • *****
  • Posts: 595
Hourly Forecast
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2005, 11:41:47 AM »
Quote from: "uk_skinner"

I was too exciting that another new feature is possible. . :oops:  So I decided to post the concept first.  I guess this hourly forecast can go very further, perhpas at least 24 hours.


Well it is a really good idea again and you know how I love to try your
very good products, so I think, it was me, that was too early.

24 hours would be nice ....

And if you need soemthing, you know my address ...

Regards Broesel

Edit:
Quote
broesel, is this the hourly page for your city:
http://de.weather.com/weather/hourbyhour/GMXX0039


Oh, well, that was what I tried first when I read your post ...
Yes, that is the forecast for my city

uk_skinner

  • Global Moderator
  • TodayPlus Veteran
  • *****
  • Posts: 1313
Hourly Forecast
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2005, 06:36:45 AM »
I almost complete the package for getting hourly forecast from weather.com and you can see from : http://www.jhollin1138.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=13100#13100.

Broesel also is testing the one for German.  The source is from de.weather.com.  

To order being called within TP, all the information are required to be written into registry key.  At this point, there are about 10 items for each hour.  The total numbers will be up to 120 items.  

So if you would like to have this feature, please let me know.  I will email you or PM you the whole package.  I even have a small exe to help you to remove the registry key you put in for hourly forecast if you decide not to use them later. A friendly remindar: please be aware of the risk when you work with registry key and back up your PPC before you try it.

Geezer

  • TodayPlus Expert
  • ****
  • Posts: 201
Hourly Forecast
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2005, 07:14:22 AM »
Quote from: "uk_skinner"
I almost complete the package for getting hourly forecast from weather.com and you can see from : http://www.jhollin1138.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=13100#13100.

Broesel also is testing the one for German.  The source is from de.weather.com.  

To order being called within TP, all the information are required to be written into registry key.  At this point, there are about 10 items for each hour.  The total numbers will be up to 120 items.  

So if you would like to have this feature, please let me know.  I will email you or PM you the whole package.  I even have a small exe to help you to remove the registry key you put in for hourly forecast if you decide not to use them later. A friendly remindar: please be aware of the risk when you work with registry key and back up your PPC before you try it.


I'm in.  :D   Can you email me the package?  Thanks..

da Geeze..
Toshiba e800, PPC2003 SE, 2.2 Gb MicroDrive, 512 CF, 512 SD, 2 Extended Batteries, Plus other excentric goodies.

uk_skinner

  • Global Moderator
  • TodayPlus Veteran
  • *****
  • Posts: 1313
Hourly Forecast
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2005, 12:50:27 PM »
Another craze idea......12 hourly forecast temperature chart...

Broesel

  • TodayPlus Veteran
  • *****
  • Posts: 595
Hourly Forecast
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2005, 12:54:12 PM »
Quote from: "uk_skinner"
Another craze idea......12 hourly forecast temperature chart...


Well, we can get nearly everything, when we get it from the registry, can't we  :?:   :lol:  :lol:  :lol:


Regards Broesel

Geezer

  • TodayPlus Expert
  • ****
  • Posts: 201
Hourly Forecast
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2005, 08:52:18 PM »
UK, That Rocks!!!  I definately want to explore this....  as soon as I finish this other project that's staring me in the face.   :lol:
Toshiba e800, PPC2003 SE, 2.2 Gb MicroDrive, 512 CF, 512 SD, 2 Extended Batteries, Plus other excentric goodies.

Timmy

  • TodayPlus Veteran
  • *****
  • Posts: 640
Hourly Forecast
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2005, 11:22:30 AM »
Quote from: "uk_skinner"
Another craze idea......12 hourly forecast temperature chart...


Uk_skinner,

I like that idea!

I think I can make a new little pic with the temperatures in it. Something like I've done with the compass. For this reason, the temperatures must be put in the 'var' directory of the registry and must have names like t1, t2 ... t12 (or something like that). Is this possible for you? Or do you have better ideas? Please, let me know, before I begin with drawing the temperature chart.

  @Broesel: What dimensions (in pixels) do you prefer?

There are so many new things at the moment, so, can you, please, make a new thread with the title 'Temperature'? Just to not confuse me and all the newbe-guestst who are watching/visiting this forum.

Timmy
Toshiba e750BT, WM 2003, Today Plus 0.11.0, WISbar Adv, Agenda Fusion, Pocket Slides, TomTom

Broesel

  • TodayPlus Veteran
  • *****
  • Posts: 595
Hourly Forecast
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2005, 11:47:43 AM »
Quote from: "Timmy"

  @Broesel: What dimensions (in pixels) do you prefer?


Thanks for asking me, but I don't  have any preferences (still under
cunstruction with all new things  :wink: )

So do what you like, I think everybody will love, what you do  :D

Regards Broesel

uk_skinner

  • Global Moderator
  • TodayPlus Veteran
  • *****
  • Posts: 1313
Hourly Forecast
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2005, 11:53:36 AM »
Quote
I think I can make a new little pic with the temperatures in it. Something like I've done with the compass. For this reason, the temperatures must be put in the 'var' directory of the registry and must have names like t1, t2 ... t12 (or something like that). Is this possible for you? Or do you have better ideas? Please, let me know, before I begin with drawing the temperature chart.


Timmy:

The temperatures are in var directory of registry key.  The name is h1temp, h2temp.....h12temp.

Timmy

  • TodayPlus Veteran
  • *****
  • Posts: 640
Hourly Forecast
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2005, 11:59:52 AM »
Quote from: "uk_skinner"
Quote
I think I can make a new little pic with the temperatures in it. Something like I've done with the compass. For this reason, the temperatures must be put in the 'var' directory of the registry and must have names like t1, t2 ... t12 (or something like that). Is this possible for you? Or do you have better ideas? Please, let me know, before I begin with drawing the temperature chart.


Timmy:

The temperatures are in var directory of registry key.  The name is h1temp, h2temp.....h12temp.


Uk_skinner,

Aha... so it's possible to do something with a temperature chart! I'll see what I can do.

Uk-skinner, I suppose that the temperatures are h1tempxx, h2tempxx and so on. What are you putting int the 'xx'? And what do you put in the 'xx' when the temperature is negative?

BTW: Is this the most easy way for us to put the vars in our skinfiles? I'm not a good textline writer, so I like to know if the things are possible to do...

Timmy
____________________________________
PS:
Uk_skinner, can you split your thread in a new one?
Toshiba e750BT, WM 2003, Today Plus 0.11.0, WISbar Adv, Agenda Fusion, Pocket Slides, TomTom